Frequently Asked Questions
How are fences usually priced?
Fences are usually priced by the lineal foot plus the cost of decorative and ornamental items plus gates and arbors.
Should I discuss my fencing plans with my neighbors?
It is always a good idea to do that. There are practical and “good neighbor” issues. Even if you are sure where the boundary and lot lines are for your property, make sure your neighbors agree. Putting up a fence changes the environment for them too. A surprise fence can lead to hard feelings.
What is the purpose of a fence?
This sounds like an obvious question, but we bring it up so you will think through your needs carefully before you actually start the buying process. So here are some things to consider:
- What’s the primary function of the fence. Is it to protect children, it is important to keep them safe and away from busy streets or bodies of water including pools, rivers, streams or lakes.
- Is the purpose to also protect animals/pets? There are many different non-fence products that can be used for pet containment including “shock collars”.
- Is the primary purpose to keep animals or people out? Sometimes the purpose is purely aesthetics. You want to hence the property by using fencing which is an excellent idea. Fences are used as backdrops for landscaping and plants.
- Your primary concern might be privacy or security. The height and construction of a fence might be of primary importance in this case. Fences are also used simply to create a known boundary. When this is the case popular fence choices might be a simple split rail fence or even chain-link.
- You consideration may even be traffic flow. Fencing designed to control traffic clearly directs people to a specific area; usually an entrance. It keeps visitors from entering or exiting where they shouldn’t.
- The important thing is that you carefully consider the primary and secondary purposes of your fencing before you start the buying process. You will be able to focus more on what is important and make wise choices. You will know where and where not to compromise on cost and appearance.
How do I choose a fence?
The factors you should get a clear understanding of are:
- The function the fence should perform.
- The appearance you want to create.
- Your budget.
- Your tolerance for maintenance.
Do you want maintenance free or are you willing to paint or stain every 5 to 8 years? Once you have these questions answered a 1-888-FENCING™ professional can help you make a good decision. In a thorough and organized manner, they can discuss all of these issues, provide the fence and arrange installation.
How high can my fence be on my property?
In most residential, commercial and industrial areas the local building and zoning ordinances with control the height and possible the type of you fence. It is not uncommon in residential areas for example for a backyard fence to a height of six feet. Also, often front yards fences could be limited to three or four feet. It is extremely wise advice to make sure you know whether or not there are restrictions before you order your fence. A trained 1-888-FENCING™ professional will generally ask about this as you are planning your project. You can also contact local authorities to get more information.
Are there standards that pertain to fence materials and products?
Yes they can generally be found by checking . The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) develops and publishes standards for thousands of products, including fences. A knowledgeable, well-trained fence contractor will be versed in ASTM standards for fence products and installation.
What are the best types of privacy fence?
Vinyl and wood panel fencing make the best privacy fencing. The shadow box or solid plank or solid plank with lattice top are great choices to consider.
What is Vinyl?
Vinyl is made out PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride). Poly Vinyl Chloride is made out of raw materials such as crude oil, natural gas and salt. Vinyl is created from premium grade raw materials.
How is vinyl fence made?
Vinyl fence is made with PVC powder and a mixture of other element to make a vinyl compound. This compound is then fed into an extruder. While in the extruder the vinyl compound is put through a certain amount of heat and pressure to make vinyl. Once the vinyl is made it is sent through a dye and shape mold to make it form to the final product. After the vinyl has been dyed and molded it is then cooled down with cold water to help keep the vinyl in its final state.
How is vinyl fence put together?
Assembling a vinyl fence is typically done by snapping the vinyl fence rails into a post that is tabbed with notches to hold the vinyl fence in place. After the vinyl is held in place by the rail screws are generally put in to help keep the fence securely in place. The rails that vinyl is attached to come in many different types and colors depending on the type of vinyl fence that you have. Some common styles of vinyl fence are privacy fence or pool fence.
How does the cost of vinyl fencing compare with traditional wood fences?
The cost of vinyl when compared to wood is higher in most areas of the United States. However, with wood increasing in price recently the price difference is becoming smaller and smaller every day. The price difference is due to the material, not durability. Wood fence generally has to be replaced every 5 – 15 years due to mold and every day wear and tear. Wood fences also have to be painted every few years. When all the varied cost factors are taken into account over the life of your fence, vinyl fence becomes the more cost effective of the two types of fences.
Will vinyl fence turn yellow?
Vinyl is formulated using a superior durable grade of non-chalking TiO2 that protects the vinyl from the harmful effects of the Sun’s UV rays. As long as your fence is kept clean it won’t turn yellow.
Can a vinyl fence break?
Any fence can break if there is enough force applied to it. However vinyl fence is created to be able to withstand more than the minimum required for a fence by the ASTM.
How do I pick the right style of fence to meet my needs and budget?
1-888-FENCING will help you make the best choice depending on your needs and budget.
Our Fence Professionals will provide you with support on any questions you may have about picking out a fence for your home or business.
Who can I get to install my fence?
1-888-FENCING can provide you with a fence installer to help install your fence. Some fences can be installed on your own, but if you would like a professional please click here to find a installer in your local area.
Are there any requirement or standards that I need to follow for purchasing a fence?
Yes, the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) sets standards for thousands of fencing products.
What type of fence is right for me?
Fences have many different uses and come in many different materials, styles and colors. Some fences are good for protecting you kids from hazardous items outside. Fences are also good for keeping pets on or off your property.